Probiotics and Colon Health
Much has been said about probiotics and their health benefits. Sometimes we make a mistake of consuming the supplements without knowing the purpose behind adding them in our system. So first, we shall explain to you what probiotics are.
Probiotics are live bacteria that bring about specific health benefits to the host. They are the “good” bacteria that maintain a proper microbial balance in the intestine and colon, reduce blood pressure, and improve the immunity of your body. Since we are focussing on probiotics and their impact on colon health, the information will revolve around this topic.
Which Probiotics improve colon health?
The two strains that quintessentially improve colon health are:
- Bifidobacterium longum
- Lactobacillus plantarum
Others that improve the gut flora can also influence colon health are:
- Lactobacillus acidophilus
- Lactobacillus casei
- Streptococcus thermophilus
How do Probiotics work for colon?
The intestinal ecosystem is a repository of good as well as bad bacteria, and their balance is essential. When we consume spicy foods, junks, sweets every day in large portions, these bad bacteria become more powerful, aiding in the accumulation of free radicals and toxins in our bodies. Then the body is unable to get rid of the toxins, and they get absorbed in by the blood. This further affects enzyme activity and causes severe problems in the colon, like burning, itching, inflammation, etc. It also gives rise to Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
A colon cleanses with probiotics is then suggested to get rid of such discomforts. They help regain the balance of the intestinal flora, ward off the toxins and waste materials trapped in the colon, and thoroughly cleanse the system.
The bacteria produce inhibitory compounds, like bacteriocins and form substrates (sugars, fatty acids, undigested carbs, etc.) that enhance colonizing microbes
Probiotics also evoke immune responses against harmful microbes in the colon.
Results of Probiotics on Colon Health
Probiotics bring about the following improvements in the colon
- Protect from irritable bowel syndrome
- Increases the immunity of colon and protects from colitis
- Relieves from constipation
- Eradicates allergy, inflammation, and toxins
- The good bacteria aids in proper digestion; henceforth smooth bowel movement
How to Maintain Colon Health with Natural Probiotics?
- Eat foods rich in soluble fibers like oats, fruits, vegetables, etc. These foods multiply the population of good bacteria in the colon
- Have yogurt and cultured milk products like kefir and buttermilk
- Consume probiotic dairy drinks regularly
- Consume fermented foods like fresh miso, tempeh, sauerkraut, and kimchi. You can also have nutritional supplements containing these ingredients
Apart from these natural sources, you can also take supplements that come in the form of capsules, powders, tablets, etc. It would be best if you go for a medical check-up on noticing any problems in colon. However, these probiotics are harmless and can be taken in moderation. It’s always safe to consult a doctor before popping any pills and supplements.